One of my struggles




After reflecting the last few days on the previous blog post and re-reading the quote from Thomas Keller, I must honestly confess one of my struggles that I believe is a HUGE contributor to my feeling tired and overwhelmed much of the time........ and it doesn't have anything to do with how many activities are planned in my week........ are you ready?

I lack a consistent time in the Word and in prayer with my Heavenly Father. It's something that I've struggled with since becoming a Mom... throughout high school and college, early on in marriage, I enjoyed a wonderful routine of time with God in the mornings, time praying and writing in my journal, time being quiet before Him and listening to His words.

As a wife, a mother and a missionary, this is something that I am not proud of at all. I'm certainly not blaming my kids or my schedule..... I am the one who needs to make this a priority and I haven't been doing that.

Imagine if I spent as much time with God as I do with my husband; I would know God more intimately as His child, and that is His desire for me (and for you). I remember with fondness the days in high school, college and beyond when I would spend an hour or more of uninterrupted time in fellowship and praise, learning and growing in the Word and how my days were so much more joyful because of that time.

Why, then, do I neglect Him? Especially during seasons of life that feel overwhelming or stressful or confusing, that is when I need these times the most. And this needs to be my first priority, not my last resort. I think the same is true for prayer; so often I find myself praying when there's nothing *I* can do to help in a situation but really, prayer should be my first instinct.

I'm reminded of the visual of the rocks, pebbles and sand. I found this illustration on YouTube for those who are not familiar with the story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FbWb3f-jLQ

I need to make sure that I am putting my big rocks in first, and one of those big rocks is my faith....and spending time in the Word and in prayer is a huge aspect. Would you pray for me, that I would find a consistent time to spend with the Lord each day? Time alone with Him, studying His Word, listening to His voice and praising His name?

Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another". Thank you friends for reading about my struggle and for encouraging me in prayer. To Him be the Glory!


Comments

  1. I will pray for you my love. I have had the same struggle. The morning is a great time to be with the Lord since we are fresh, but I couldn't make this happen consistently when my son wakes up at the same time as me. So I have decided to make my time my lunch break at work. It is consistent and alone at least Monday through Friday. May be there is a non-traditional time that will work for you:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Laundry

You are not God's answer for everything