You are not God's answer for everything



I love to serve; I love to practice hospitality. I love to help others who have needs. I don't say this to brag....... these are the gifts that God has given me and I enjoy using them to advance His Kingdom. When we lived overseas, I enjoyed hosting people in our home for meals and for overnight stays and we do the same in our home here in the US.

But sometimes, there are so many needs........ they are all legitimate and I want to help in any way I can...... but sometimes, I have to say, "No"....... and that's hard for me. Recently, there have been several big needs that I have been made aware of and I'm trying to figure out how to help and care for all of them. Then, my wise husband gently reminded me that "I am not God's answer for everything."

That was a very profound statement for me........ was I being selfish in wanting to meet every need? Perhaps. Was I bringing each of the needs before the Lord and asking Him which one (or two) He wanted me to help with? Hmmmm........ I confess I hadn't thought about it in that way. Was I robbing others of the blessing of serving by wanting to 'do it all' rather than asking the Lord what particular need I could meet and then trusting that He would bring others who also had a desire and the necessary means to serve and take care of these needs too?

In Acts 2:44-46, we are reminded of the fellowship of the early believers " 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 Selling their possessions and goods, they shared with anyone who was in need. 46 With one accord they continued to meet daily in the temple courts and to break bread from house to house, sharing their meals with gladness and sincerity of heart,…"

We see in these verses the idea of 'together', 'their', and 'they' as opposed to 'by myself' 'I' and 'my'..... I am so grateful that God intended for us to be a community who works together to meet the needs of others. What a joy and blessing to do my part alongside fellow believers,  friends and co-workers to help meet the needs of God's people and the world together.... with gladness and sincerity of heart.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Laundry

Forgiveness