Forgiveness


Forgiveness lies at the heart of the Christian faith, with our Savior extending forgiveness even when He was dying on the cross. Jesus loved those who had nailed Him there, uttering a prayer asking His Father to forgive them. He didn’t hang on to bitterness or anger, but showed grace and love to those who had wronged Him.
This is a fitting time to consider before the Lord any people we might need to forgive as we follow Jesus’s example in extending His love to those who hurt us. When we ask God through His Spirit to help us forgive, He will come to our aid—even if we take what we think is a long time to forgive. When we do, we are freed from the prison of unforgiveness.

~Amy Boucher Pye


Today was a hard day; I was tired, I was hungry, I was expecting my kids to act much older than they are. I got angry, I raised my voice  yelled, I acted in a way that showed I was living according to the flesh rather than the Spirit. 
After a Mommy Time Out (yes, mommy's sometimes need timeouts too), I went and apologized to my kids. I asked them to forgive me (which they did). And then, when we sat down to eat, I prayed and asked God to forgive me for my bad attitude. Yes, my kids heard me pray out loud and confess my sin and ask Abba for forgiveness. And that's okay. 
When I asked my kids for forgiveness, our relationship was restored. They sat in my lap and we enjoyed snuggling together. And that is how I picture my relationship being restored with my Heavenly Father when I come and ask His forgiveness. In 1st John 1:9 it says, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 
If Jesus offered forgiveness to the men who mercilessly beat him and drove nails into his flesh, then I can forgive others who have hurt me and I can also ask for forgiveness when I have wronged another person; I, too, can show grace and love.
 "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
John 13:35

P.S. Yes, I'm a missionary......No, I'm not perfect.....I'm a sinner saved by grace.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Laundry

You are not God's answer for everything