Success or faithfulness?

I want to be successful...... as a daughter, wife, mother, friend, teacher, missionary. I often look for accolades from the world rather than God. The question is why? Why does this matter to me? I think it's partly human nature to desire success.... I always try to work hard to please people or impress people or to leave a good impression; that's part of my personality.

But what does God want from me? Does He look at my success or my faithfulness? In the Bible, we read in Matthew 25 the story of a man who was leaving on a trip. He called his servants together and gave them different 'talents' or coinage and when he returned from the trip, he called the servants together again to give an account of what they had done with the talents that he had entrusted to them while he was away. To the one who been wise with the talents, the man said, "Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord." (vs. 21)

Well done, good and faithful servant. The servant was not praised for being successful but for being faithful. The definition of success is the accomplishment of an aim or purpose; the attainment of popularity or profit. The definition of faithful is loyal, constant, steadfast, reliable; true to the facts

In his book, Replenish, author Lance Witt says, "At the end of the day, he (God) will evaluate my life not based on the world's definition of success but on his definition of faithfulness."

I pray that as the Lord continues to work in my life and my heart that I will come to desire faithfulness over success...... this will most likely be a lifelong pursuit, one that takes place on a day by day, moment by moment basis as I cultivate my relationship with my loving Heavenly Father.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laundry

You are not God's answer for everything

Forgiveness